I fell in love with this recipe from the moment I first tried it.
- 5 large sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp butter, divided
- 3 tbsp maple syrup, divided or subbed sweetener
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon, divided
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes until fork-tender. Remove from heat and drain.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Add two tablespoons of butter and maple syrup, to the pot with the sweet potatoes.
- Stir in the vanilla, one teaspoon of cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Mash until smooth. Adjust salt to taste. Transfer to a baking dish.
- In a small bowl, toss the walnuts with the coconut flakes, coconut oil, remaining butter and syrup, and teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Cover the sweet potatoes with the walnut topping.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the walnut topping is golden. Serve warm.